If you’ve just started on Appnique or signed up for our 7-day free trial, it’s important that you get the most value out of our suite of mobile UA tools right away.
In this article, we touch on the basics of how to navigate our platform, build your affinity-based audience segments, and launch and optimize your next campaign across Facebook, Apple Search and Google.
- Navigating the Appnique Suite of Tools
- Top Bar Navigation
- Tool Navigation
- Apple & Google Search
- Building your core audience
- Analyze an install base
- Build a new audience segment
- Eliminate Audience Overlap
- Measure and Optimize Campaign Performance
- Assess performance
- Add high performers to new collections
- Discover related interests
Once logged into Appnique Utilities, you will have access to the different tools. Your account will be enabled for the tools suite that aligns with your tool license.
On the top of each page of the utilities tool, you will see the following navigation points. You will see that our suite of tools are divided into two segments: “Facebook Interests” and “App Store Search”.
As you might expect, the suite of tools under “Facebook Interests” focuses on building audiences and mapping them to precise Facebook Interests for targeting.
Similarly, the tools within the “App Store Search” map audience segments back to keywords for use in Google and Apple Search.
The third option in the navigation bar is your profile information where you can manage your login information, email alerts and connect your Facebook account to unlock the full value of the Appnique platform.
Facebook Interests Navigation
We’ve organized our suite of UA tools based on the workflow we recommend for building out audience segments. That process is broken into three main parts:
- Build your Affinity Audience - The Appnique Affinity Analysis allows you to analyze the install base of any app (your own or a competitor) and map those segments back to the interests and keywords for easy targeting. Similarly, the new Appnique Express tool builds analyzes the install base of any app you select, but automatically selects interests to build your lookalike-style audience segment in seconds.
- Expand your reach - We carefully curate and organize interests as they become available on Facebook. Use these to add incremental scale to your core audience segment.
- See the impact - Use the Facebook Interest Diagnostics and Reach Overlap tools to see what’s working, minimize overlap between audience segments so you can have confidence in the unique reach of your campaigns, and discover similar interests to your highest performers.
The Appnique Affinity Analysis also works for keywords so that you can target high-affinity users using Apple Search Ads and Google Search.
Our affinity analysis tool is the heart of the Appnique suite of tools. The tool works by analyzing app store behavior among other signals and mapping high affinity user segments back to Facebook Interests and Keywords for quick and easy targeting.
For your first audience segment, a great place to start is building a lookalike-style audience based on the behavior of your existing users.
Conduct “Affinity Analysis”
For Facebook, this is located under the “Build your affinity audience” column behind the “Facebook Interests” link.
Analyze an app
Appnique allows you to analyze any app install base to uncover high-affinity segments that are mapped to Facebook Interests and keywords for quick and easy targeting.
In this example, we will analyze “Clash of Clans” to build our first audience segment. As you can see below, the interface is divided into 7 main parts:
- App Selection
Use this dropdown to select any app in the app store to analyze, beginning with your own.
- Affinity Categories
Pivot to focus on different types of affinity based on app store behavior or app qualities:
- User Affinity - Analyzes your install base and tracks other apps that those same users have reviewed.
- Also Installed - Surfaces popular apps that are commonly co-installed.
- Keyword Affinity - Apps with similar keywords in their appstore descriptions.
- Functional similarity - Apps that are functionally similar based on user reviews
- Results Filter
Pair down results using multiple filters including how precise interest matching is, app category, topic, and audience size.
- Results - The analysis is populated into a table with six columns beginning with related apps. From left to right, here’s how you should use each column.
These are the apps that are most closely related to whichever app was selected for analysis.
App store category
Consider the app store category when you move on to the curated interest lists for additional inspiration to build out your audience segments.
Appnique’s algorithms map high affinity segments back to the related Facebook Interests for easy targeting. Select the interests you would like to include in your audience segments from this column by clicking the "+" next to each interest. They will be populated in the collection at the bottom of your screen. More details on this process are included in the "Build a new audience" section below.
This number indicates the reach of a given Facebook Interest.
Similar to column for "Audience", the US reach shows the estimated reach of the related Facebook Interest within the United States.
This indicates which topic the Facebook Interest relates to. Consider this information when researching curated interests under “Expand your reach”.
- Interest Collection
As you select Facebook Interests from column 3, they will appear in this section. From there you can export them by clicking the blue “export” link.
Clicking the “export” link will give you multiple options including CSV, Flexible Interest Format, Unified Interest Format and “I” separated format so you can choose the format that works best for you.
- Related Interests
As you build out your collection of interests, Appnique works to find related interests for you to consider. Click anywhere in the box to expand the window. Add the suggested interest to your collection by clicking the + next to it.
While adding new interests to your collection, Appnique keeps track of total reach estimates of the audience. Click anywhere on this section to expand the window and select filter options to pare down by country, platform and demographics.
Because our platform doesn’t require any private data to accomplish this, you can go beyond your own install base to build lookalike-style audiences. When you do so, you’ll want to keep your interest collections separate. To create a new interest collection do the following:
Step 1: Expand the “Interest Collection” window by clicking the orange arrow at the right (marked by the red arrow in the image below)
Step 2: Once expanded, you will have a view of all of your interest collections. In the top left, select “new collection”.
We recommend building a separate interest collection based on analysis of your install base, your main competitors and related apps, then drilling down by app category and topic. Clearly labelling each collection makes measurement and optimization quick and easy.
Step 3: Collapse the window to begin populating your new collection with interests.
If you have multiple audience segments, you will want to get a sense of the unique reach of each segment, and eliminate overlap. To do so, navigate to Facebook Interests > Reach Overlap.
As you continue to build out your interest collections to target specific segments, you can compare them side by side to determine exactly how unique each audience is.
- Compare audiences - Under the "Audiences" section of the filter pane, select the audiences you want to compare.
- Apply additional filters – Using the fields at the left of the screen you can select which audiences you want to compare (these are the interest collections you labeled in previous steps) and filter down based on country, platform, gender and age for a more granular look at your unique audience.
The Appnique Facebook Diagnostics tool makes it easy to identify which interests are performing best in a given campaign and discover more related interests to seamlessly add to an interest collection in just a few clicks. This allows you to continuously optimize and refine your ad targeting over the life of a campaign. The Interest Diagnostics tool is located at Facebook Interests> Appnique Interest Diagnostics.
The Appnique Interest Diagnostic tool uses interests as it’s primary pivot in the first column and displays 6 standard KPIs:
In addition to the standard KPIs, you can use the two dropdowns above the table to select any end action you are optimizing for. Once selected, column 6 and 8 are updated and the tables are re-organized in descending order based based on that metric (see example below).
Select any option in the drop down and have your results updated immediately.
Easily add any interests in this view to a new interest collection by clicking on the “+” icon next to each interest to have them automatically added to the interest collection displayed at the bottom of your screen.
In the last column, you will find a truncated list of related interests. These interests are suggested based on correlations in affinity.
Click anywhere in the cell to expand and see a full list of related interests in descending order of affinity with a view that includes both the total reach and U.S. reach for each interests. Click the “+” icon next to each interest to have it added to the interest collection from the previous screen.
To redeem your free audience creation, schedule a consultation, or connect with support email email@example.com.